Sunday, June 04, 2006

 

Learning German II

There are good web sites for studying German online. BBC’s program is my favorite. About.com has an interesting list: Top 1,000 most frequently used words in German. You may check how far you have gone there.
Given its reputation, DW’s online offering seemed to be very poor to me. On the other hand they offer "glossary attached reading" which can be a great tool for glossary development.
There are quite a few online dictionaries as well. My favorite is a University of Munich project: LEO. There are other examples like interlingua and for those who have deeper interest, this link gives more than a hundred web addresses. This one is wide but does not look serious. (Even has a link titled "how to swear in German"). This one has link for online translation tools. By the way, my browser has a tool: "translate page into English". It works very well for me but I forgot how did I find it. At my home computer I just installed google's toolbar tool and set the WordTranslator into German. Now when I drag the mouse on any word its German translation pops up. I loved this feature.

Note: A friend of mine suggested me a multimedia site called Lina and Leo from Goethe Institute. I just checked it and found it nice.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?